Step-By-Step: Installing Office 365 ProPlus using Intune’s built in Office Deployment Tool
Office 365 ProPlus is quickly becoming the largest productivity suite that Microsoft has created. In the past, installing Office 365 required an XML file, a packaged deployment using a tool like SCCM, and lots of customization to make everything work correctly.
Intune thankfully has a built in tool as apart of the Client App delivery portal to help make things easier for you. This does all of the customization, builds the XML and your customization options. You won’t see the XML being used but if you look in registry for the installation features you can see the auto-generated XML file that was used.
In this step by step post, we’ll cover how to build and deploy an O365 Application Deployment using this tool.
1. On the left navigation bar, click All Services > Intune.
2. Click Client apps > Apps > +Add.
3. Under App type, select Office 365 Suite > Windows 10.
4. Select the following applications under Configure App Suite:
- OneDrive Desktop
5. Under App Suite Information, provide the following information:
a. Suite Name:
b. Suite Description:
Microsoft Office 365
6. Under App Suite Settings, select the Monthly update channel.
7. Click Add. Select Assignments, click Add group , select Assignment type Required , click Included Groups and select the group you wish to deploy to.
You’ll have to redo these steps for each group that you want for each Update channel. Most commonly we see three groups: Monthly, Semi-Annual, and Semi-Annual Targeted.
It is also recommended to create separate groups for the users needing Project and Visio. Those deployments would have all your standard apps as well as Project or Visio.